Sunday, March 22, 2009

Raw Judita. Part One.

Last Sunday I attended an amazing raw food culinary class. The class was Raw Food 101 - Easy and delicious raw vegan cuisine for beginners. We learned to make Vanilla Brazil Nut Milk, Strawberry Fields Green Smoothie, Not-Tuna Salad, Angel Hair Pasta with Pesto, Mediterranean Kale Salad and decadent Fudge Brownies.

Let’s begin at the beginning. Our raw food instructor was Judita Wignall. She is a certified raw culinary arts associate chef and instructor from the Living Light Culinary Arts Institute. Judita is a chick of all trades. Not only is she an incredible raw food chef but she’s also a talented actor, singer, songwriter and former LA Derby Doll. She’s all around bad ass. You can learn more about her here.

Judita greeted her 10 students with an elegant and delicious spread of kale chips, no-bean hummus with tasty seed cracker thingies, almond joyous and refreshing lemonade. I’ve made kale chips before but they weren’t nearly as flavorful as the ones Judita served up. I could have eaten the whole bowl and almost did. In fact I could have eaten the entire spread and this was just the beginning.

Almond joyous deserves its own blurry shot. What can I say, I was too busy eating. Almond Joy candy bars suck. Almond joyous are melt in your mouth guilt free morsels.

Sadly we didn't learn how to make these in class. Fortunately Judita will be teaching a class called Divine Desserts. Students will learn how to make to-die for desserts like Chocolate Mousse Tart with fresh Berries, Cherry Vanilla Cheesecake, Lemon Tart, Truffles and of course Almond Joyous. Sign me up!

Next we moved on to Strawberry Fields Green Smoothie from Victoria Boutenko's book "Green For Life." Judita uses Brazil nut milk instead of water to make a richer and creamier smoothie. She taught us how to make Brazil nut milk. It was so easy to make that I've vowed to never buy boxed soy milk again.

Judita adds romaine lettuce to smoothies. Wha? It's a b*tchin' way to cram in vitamins, minerals and enzymes. I'm not a fan of fruit. I find the pealing process too difficult. However I've been drinking a smoothie everyday since this raw food class and I add lettuce from my garden.

Judita stressed purchasing organic strawberries since they are one of the most heavily sprayed crops. I did not know that. I grow my own strawberries but sometimes they are picked for me.

No prob. Judita handed her students a 13 page handout that included recipes and valuable resources. I know where to get organic strawberries for $2.29! Woot!

Next we moved on to Mediterranean Kale Salad. I learned how to properly de-stem kale; I've been doing it the hard way all along! Judita taught us some tricks of the trade like how to chiffonade. I really impressed H with this one.

This salad is so savory and such a cinch to make that I've started mapping out a spot in backyard that will be devoted exclusively to growing kale for this salad. Full yet? Two entrees, dessert and a recipe to be covered in Raw Judita. Part Two. Stay tuned...

4 comments:

christina said...

this is awesome...thanks for posting...i really want to take her class...although my acupuncturist said i should avoid raw foods...

kelli said...

I like this! Thanks for the info...

SANDY said...

HEY, ADRIANA! IT WAS A GREAT RAW DESSERT CLASS. MMmmm! I FINISHED MY TREATS LAST NIGHT AND YES I DID SHARE. GREAT BLOG PAGE. I HOPE TO SEE YOU REAL SOON IF NOT I WILL SEE YOU THIS FALL.

Anonymous said...

Hey that is my sister! She is very taletnted indeed and has shown me many ideas for cooking